Wednesday, September 5, 2012

3 Day Getaway: NYC - Friday

One of the things that I love about living in Cincinnati is that I have my sister, Kiara, within driving distance. It's a 12 hour distance but it's still closer and faster (and cheaper) than traveling from Puerto Rico. We decided to visit NYC during Labor Day weekend even though it would have to be a LBE (Low Budget Edition) stop in the Big Apple.

We left for NYC right after I left work on Thursday, so just about five in the afternoon. We made only one stop on the way, at this charming truck stop right after Columbus to have dinner.

We arrived in NYC (we actually arrived in Jersey City) around three in the morning. We knocked on our BFF's door and went straight to bed (Another perk of visiting NYC is getting together with our best friends, Lucianne and Christian). We woke up around nine in the morning to travel to New York City to do a little sightseeing.

View of NYC skyline from Jersey City
Rebuilding the World Trade Center
On our way to the Museum of Natural History
 We decided to start our first day in New York City visiting the Museum of Natural History. Tomas was super excited of seeing where "Night at the Museum" took place!

The dinosaurs was our favorite part!
Before leaving for NYC, I had learned that tickets would be available for one of the final performances of this summer's Shakespeare in the Park, Into the Woods. We swung around at eleven in the morning and the line was never-ending so we decided to try our luck later in the day on the standby line. After spending the morning in the museum I left Tomas to explore rest of the museum while I met my sister in the standby line at three.
Line for Into the Woods tickets

We were in line for a little over three hours, but time went by quickly as me and Kiara caught up. Tomas joined right before the line closed at six and we were all able to get tickets to see the play. I have no pictures of Into the Woods but I can honestly say it was wonderful. The story is very beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. The 3 hours wait was definitely worth it (Even my non-artsy husband thought it was awesome). Best part of it, was it was free!

No comments:

Post a Comment